Monday, November 06, 2006

LSU 28 - Tennessee 24

For those who don't know, my Dad and I traveled to Knoxville this weekend to take in the Tennessee/LSU game (thanks Andy!!). As a fan of college football, seeing a game at Neyland Stadium is very high on the list of things to see, and it didn't hurt that the game matched two top 15 teams. The trip was great. We were lucky to see such a great game that went down to the wire, and Tennessee gamedays are truly a great experience. From the atmosphere, fans, and band, to the tailgating, stadium, and campus, it was amazing trip. Here are a few observations:

Setting: Neyland Stadium might be the most picturesque setting in college football. Knowing how big the stadium is, I was fully expecting to be able to see it from the highway, but it is tucked away on the back side of campus. It was so cool driving through downtown, you can see the campus, and then boom, there's the stadium. It's built into the side of the hill, and is perfectly placed next to the river.

Stadium: From inside the stadium, it's hard to believe that there is going to be over 100,000 people in there. Don't get me wrong the stadium is huge, but you feel like you are right on top of the action. We had end zone seats, but still had good views and felt apart of the action. The outside of the stadium has a lot of character to it. The steel beams and ramps are exposed and you can see some of the old brick that made up the original facade. There are plans for a new brick facade and concourse to surround the stadium.

Fans: Much like all southern football fans Vol fans are classy, passionate, and take pride in their team. It's awesome when the fans sing Rocky Top because you can tell that song holds a special place in their hearts. During the game, I heard many of the same comments that I hear at Texas games. As loyal as fans are they are never completely satisfied (myself included). It was good hearing the Tennessee fans complain about their running game and poor tackling, so I know not to be hard on Texas fans when I hear them complain. It was neat seeing so many LSU fans at the game. I believe that visiting SEC schools get 10,000 tickets. Although I didn't witness anything more than fun heckling between fans, it just adds another element to the game when their are so many visiting fans in attendance.

Bottom Line: A gameday at Tennessee has a lot to offer. I would love to be able to go again and if you ever get a chance to go, don't miss it. I plan on attending many more college football games across the country, but I think Tennessee will always hold a place in my Top 5.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Sounds awesome. And what a game...

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home