Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Texas 35 - Texas Tech 31

Due to a family event I was forced to TiVo the game. I hate watching Texas games like this (although TiVo could go down as the greatest invention of mankind) because I feel like I have no control over the game. Although I know I don't really have an impact on the events on the field, when I watch the game, live I can give inspiring pep talks, switch seats, change the volume on the TV to get a turnover, and other rituals that I feel help the team. I had to sit there helplessly as Harrell tore our secondary to shreds. Although I was saying outloud "just don't get blown out", deep down I knew we had a comeback in us. The Horns have done it so many times over the past couple of years, that I really never think we are going to lose. After the tOSU game, I thought that we might lose at least one of the past two games, but we escaped with wins and I believe this team has more than exceeded expectations. Nationally, Texas is taking some heat for beating "just Tech", but I think we can all agree that it is very tough to win night games at Tech. I heard Jones Stadium referred to as the "Bermuda Triangle" of the Big XII, and I think that's a fitting description. Even though the Horns are still in the National Title hunt, our main goal should be winning the Big XII and playing in a BCS game. I would like to be able to defend our Title, but a lot of things would have to happen for the Horns to be worthy of the NCG. This team still has many areas to improve upon, but it is a pleasure watching this team fight, learn to win, and win.

Quickhits:
-A Tech record of 56,158 witnessed the game
-Colt had 68 (net) huge yards rushing and was 21-31 for 265 yards, with 4 TD and 1 Int.
He continues to impress and is having a record year for a Freshman QB at Texas, but I think under no circumstances should he be metioned in the Heisman race. He is not the type of dominating player that it takes to be considered as a Freshman (Hershel Walker, Adrian Peterson, ect.).
-10 different Tech receivers caught passes, they killed us with the screen, we need to play the ball on the deep passes
-We had another quick strike after a turnover (45 yard TD pass to Sweed)
-The brick around Jones Stadium looks very nice, it will be interesting to see if they expand the stadium in the next couple of years
-Quan Cosby had a huge game, Jermichael Finley could be the greatest tight-end in Texas history by the end of his career, rushing defense continues to do its part
-Give Greg Davis credit for putting Colt under center and running the ball north/south. That also opened up the play action pass.

Next Game: Oklahoma State
This game got a lot scarier after the Cowboy's performance last week. The Horns will also have to deal with the TBS curse. Texas has outscored OSU 118-0 in the second half the past three seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home