Monday, January 22, 2007

A few old quickhits

-With the Florida win I finished in a four-way tie for first in our work bowl pool. The tie-breaker was the total combined score and unfortunately I thought it would be a low scoring game. My reward, 4th place and zero money.

-I'm not on board with bringing in Sammy "I don't speak English" Sosa. Even though it is only a minor league contract and there is a fair chance he won't make the team, I just don't think he has anything to offer the Rangers. We have plenty of outfielders and we need to get Botts and some of the other young guys as many spring training at-bats as possible. I believe he is only 12 homeruns shy of reaching 600, but I don't think thousands of fans will flock to the temple to see this drug-induced history. The Rangers had their chance with Sammy 17 or so years ago and trading him for nothing.

Weekend Round-up

-I watched most of the Texas game this weekend. For such a young team I feel they can compete with most any team, but they just can't seem to get over the hump. Against Tennessee they couldn't hold a big lead and this weekend at Villinova they threw up way to many 3's. I don't think many teams will want to play the Horns in the tournament, but I will have to see the bracket before I project the Horns into the round of 16.

-I'm reading Civil War and Baseball books right now, so let me know if you have any recommendations.

-I was happy with the Parcels news. I hate how he acts like he is God's gift to coaching and if the team plays bad it all falls on the players. I do hope that Jerry doesn't start running the whole show again, because we all have seen where that gets us. I wouldn't mind see, one, Bob Stoops take over the show at Valley Ranch especially if it throws the Sooner program in disarray for a few years.

-Head over to Courtney's blog and get your vote in for a Boy/Girl.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I would now like to claim my share of your prize money from the office pool since I cheered Florida on to victory. I think half of it should be about 0 give or take a few $.
Here is to hoping Sammy won't make the squad and the Giants won't be able to resign the speed machine Barry. It would be good for baseball to erase them from the books.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

you think sosa's bad? the astros just signed richard "automatic pop-up behind second base" hidalgo to a minor league deal.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Is he different from richard "hit into inning ending double-plays" hidalgo?

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the sammy signing was good because i think he has something to prove and will have a good year. Then i would trade him at the deadline to a contender and get some young pitching prospects since we gave the only one we had away. I agree that hidalgo was a bad signing. there is a guy in the astors system name Hunter Pence that can hit the ball far! But he tends towards Juan Gonzalez by swinging at the low and away curveball.
-your astros insider

3:50 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

i think that might be the same player. i'll have to look at the stats and see if he leads the league in both categories.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home