Monday, August 20, 2007

Quick Hits

-The Fightin' Skeeters checked in at #7 in the Dallas Morning News' area rankings. QB Kelly Page (committed to Oregon) returns from a knee injury and the defense picked up Lancaster transfer D.J. Marshall (7 sacks last year). Mesquite will play #17 Plano, #9 Plano East, and #11 Carter along with West Texas powerhouses Abilene High and Midland Lee in non-district. Texas Football has the Skeeters winning district 12-5A and my inside sources tell me that Coach Halpin says this senior class is better than the 2001 State Championship team. Sting'em Skeeters!!

-My favorite issue of Sports Illustrated came in the mail last week: the College Football Preview. I haven't read all the way threw it yet, but I did find one error on the can't miss matchups page. "Texas at Texas A&M - Aggies snapped five-game losing streak to Horns last year". It was actually a six-game losing streak but who's counting.

-I played in a Church State Softball tournament this weekend and our team won the Championship. It was fun, but I'm thinking about retiring from softball tournaments. I guess like a lot of things these days, things aren't like they used to be. I basically grew up at the softball complex. My Dad's church team won multiple State Championships and played in national tournaments all across the South. It was great, I knew every Friday night in the Spring we would be at the softball field. All the families came and the kids played wiffle ball from the time we got there until our parents dragged us to the car. This weekend there were only a handful of families at the ballpark. I wasn't playing with our Church team so Courtney and Savannah didn't come (Savannah is still too young to get out in that heat anyway), but even at our Church league games not all the families come. Is softball just not quality entertainment anymore, are families too busy to gather everyone for a night at the park? Back to retirement, I think I might not play anymore because I don't want to spend all day out at the park when I could be home with my family. I like to play and compete, but if I'm not playing on a team with my friends where all of our families can spend the day together, I don't see the point in playing. Basically, my Saturday could have been this: Fantasy Football draft 9-12, go home and hang out maybe get some stuff done around the house, go to Bourne with Aaron and Allison. Instead, I when I left for the draft Savannah and Courtney were still in bed and when I got home from the games they were back in bed. Not to mention I was very sore yesterday and today. Maybe I'll consult Roger Clemens and Brett Farve before I make my final decision.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger *Courtney* said...

oh, i don't think you should retire just yet. you're still in your prime considering you won the state tourney mvp award!!! we did miss you and we would've loved to go to the movie with the ellis fam, but i'm proud of you, my mvp! :)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

you just need to be put in the right situation...how about reuniting of the DX bunch at the acu intramural field with no fence?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home