Monday, October 02, 2006

Let's get Texas/OU week started:

This is hands down my favorite game of the college football season and the game I most look forward to going to every year. There are too many great things about this game to discuss now, and due to my work schedule, I won't be able to post as much as I would like. Hopefully this will be a fun week and an even better weekend. Aaron of Dallas will be here later in the week to give us some Sooner perspective and feelings of what the game is like from the Oklahoma side. To get us started, here are my top 5 Texas/OU moments:

5. 2001 - Of course this is the game after 9/11 and before the bands took the field for pre-game there was a video tribute with "God bless the USA". After it was over the Texas/OU fans began the "USA,USA,USA" chant with just as much or more favor as they would "Texas Fight" or "Boomer Sooner". Talk about a chill bump moment. Even though only minuntes later the OU sucks and Texas sucks chants started, it really hit home that there are many more important things the a football game.

4. 1990 - For the second time in two years Peter Gardere led the Horns on a late scoring drive. This year on a forth-and-seven from the OU 16, Gardere found Keith Cash on a slant pattern for the game winning score. I think OU was ranked #4, but too lazy to look it up. Texas 14-13

3. 2005 - Riding a five game losing streak, a tremendous weight was lifted off Longhorn fans. Jamaal Charles' 80 yard run, Bomar taking a beating, the wheel route to Pittman before the half, and many more great plays in this Texas victory. Texas 45-12

2. 1994 - A very close second, Texas wins 17-10 on a Stonie Clark goal line stop. We had end zone seats this year, and when Texas made the stop, my ears starting ringing for about 5 seconds. I was 11 years old and needless to say I thought I lost my hearing. It was great, see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amy7Uf8DlGA

1. 1989 - Special because it was my first Texas/OU shootout and it was the first of four Peter "the great" Gardere wins. Two sport start Johnny Walker made a diving catch on the goal line for a 25 yard touchdown. Although I was only 5, I remember the feeling of that drive and the joy of all Texas fans. It is a priceless memory and this is the game where my fandom started. Thanks Dad! Texas 28-24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home