Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I'm sure I'm breaking a Man Law, but...

I would like to announce that I now want to be known as a Chicago Bears fan. I was thinking about this last week; I just started paying close attention to the NFL last season and I don't have a team that I can consider "my team". I like the Cowboys, but it doesn't do anything for me when they win or lose, and I get beaten down by all the Cowboy talk on the radio. I know that this is a great day to come out as a Bears fan the day after a great comeback on MNF. I started pulling for the Bears last season because I liked to watch their Defense play, but there are several reasons why I feel the Bears would be a cool team to be a fan of. The Bears have a storied past, they have great uniforms, they play in a classic stadium (even after the renovation), and have a dedicated fan base. Well, to diminish some of the feelings of jumping on the bandwagon, I have imposed probation on myself this season. I will not take any pleasure in Bear victories, but will feel the emotions of a loss. This is really a sports experiment for me, I want to see if you can just become a fan of a team for no reason what so ever. I'm going to study up on the team history, get to know the current roster, and try to watch as many games as I can (I've been known to dose off during NFL games). I have so much emotion invested in Texas, that it will be hard to give anything to "Da Bears," but that is what this experiment is about. It will be interesting to look back in ten years and see what has come of this. Will I have forgotten all about it or will my kids be wearing Bears shirts?

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I was actually planning on blogging about this. I think you are breaking some type of man law. Not because you'd be jumping on a bandwagon, but because you would have a tough time qualifying to be a fan. Its an age old debate. What qualifications does one need to deem themselves a fan of any particular team? I'm sure the rules are quite different for college and pros, but you can't say you havent been annoyed by those Yankee or Florida State or Duke fans that have NO relationship to the team, town, or even state in which that team plays. I think some exemptions apply if you start at VERY young age and never lose loyalty. Just thoughts. Perhaps more to come...

ern

9:06 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Your point is very well taken. I can't stand all the so called Yankee fans that go to the Ranger games, and don't forget all hundreds who flocked to academy to buy their Texas Nat'l Champs shirt. Well at this point of the experiment I would not consider myself a Bear fan, just a fan of football who wants the Bear's to do good. Much like I want the Cowboy's to win. I can claim the Boys because I'm from Dallas, but what would I have to do to be able to claim the Bears as my team? That's why this is a long term experiment, to see how I can make myself a true Bear fan.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'll try to figure out a loop hole where we can slip you in. If successful, you could really enjoy it. I'm struggling with similar problems, given that I've pledged loyalty to Houston teams most of my life. It appears now that I'm going to be in a different city for several years (dallas). I'm in a bit of a pickle.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home