Monday, January 29, 2007

Texas - Basketball Hotbed?

I watched the Texas/Baylor game on Sat. and I wasn't prepared for that close of game. Luckily I didn't see most of the first half. The Horns played hard the second half and stormed back by hitting their 3's. I really enjoy watching this young team play, but it kills me that we are pretty much a live by the 3, die by the 3 team. I was also surprised by the crowd at the Erwin Center. The announced crowd was 15,000 plus, and reports say that their was a solid 14,000 in attendance. During the Horns comeback in the second half, the crowd was fantastic. Its great to see how far the program has come since Rick Barnes took over. A few years ago I would expect a crowd of 6-8,000 for a Baylor game. The Dallas Morning News is found of making little remarks about the crowds at the beginning of the year, but they don't consider that these games are against teams like Alcorn State. The program is not at a point yet where they will attract over 5,000 for a game like that, but I didn't see any mention of the great crowd this weekend.

Texas, A&M, and Tech are having solid seasons and fans are coming out in droves for the games. It not exactly Tobacco Road, but I believe basketball is becoming more than a break between football and spring football. Throw in the three pro teams and one might even consider the state a basketball hotbed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Hotbed might be a strong word but I think the state is certainly making big steps in the basketball department. I however remain a little skeptical until I see what the college teams will do when they play with the big boys when it counts. Other than A&M (LSU), the Texas teams have not really beat anyone of major consequence when they needed to.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

no denying the NBA's texas triangle.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Agreed

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home