Sunday, October 08, 2006

Please excuse this rant but...

I have to get this off my chest. Although I never root for OU, I always had a respect for Bob Stoops. I can't really explain it, but he seems like coach I would want to be like. I've heard stories about how he keeps his family first even though college coach's are known to work 18-20 hour days. On Saturday I lost a lot, if not all of my respect for him. He spent 75% of the game harassing the line judge on his sideline and on several occasions spent minutes out on the field yelling at the refs. If he would have spent half that time coaching maybe he could have prevented OU's 11 penalties, 5 of which were false starts. His team played very undisciplined, and could have had even a few more personal fouls that were uncalled. There were at least two times that I saw an OU player try to pin a Texas player (WWE style) on special team plays on the other side of the field. Hey, you made a great block, you took your man down, don't act like a heathen once you've done your job. Well, I can get over that. If I was a coach, I would have a very hard time controlling my emotions also, but let me tell you what pissed me off the most. After the final gun sounded 98% of the OU team headed straight to the locker room without even thinking about saying "good game" to the Texas team. It would be one thing if Texas won on a last second play and was dog piling on the field. Of course you wouldn't want to stick around for that, but that is not what happened. I don't like losing and when you get beat down, you don't have to be happy about it, but you shake their hand, say good game, and I'll see you next year. I respect the 10 or 15 OU players who took the time to congratulate the Horns. I guess it starts with the leaders of the team because my Dad informed me, that after the coin flip, the OU captains returned to their sideline without shaking the Texas captains hands. Have some respect for the game. Oh yeah, Adrian you went to OU for a chance to play for championships? Scoreboard!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home